The Harris County Virtual Program (HCVP) is designed for medically fragile students in Kindergarten through 12th grade who have documented medical issues which require the student to be away from in-person learning. The HCVP is planned for students to demonstrate success in an academic environment which requires a level of student independence and commitment to learning.
The term medically fragile generally refers to students who require complex health procedures, special therapy or specialized medical equipment/supplies to enhance or sustain their lives during the school day. Because each child’s condition is unique, his or her educational program must be determined on a case-by-case basis. Acceptance into the HCVP requires documentation from a licensed medical doctor that an associated or accompanying chronic illness or condition is so severe that it affects the student's school attendance.
Accessing the Application
- Parents/Guardians wishing to apply for the HCVP may obtain an application packet in one of the following ways:
- By accessing the HCSD website at harris.k12.ga.us and visiting “Departments”, then “Support Services”, and clicking on “Harris County Virtual Program.”
- By visiting the Department of Social Services at the Harris County School District H.O.P.E. Center, 106 Mountain Creek Drive, Hamilton, GA 31811. Telephone number is 706-628-4206, Ext. 2301.
- By visiting the student’s home school.
- Completed applications can be submitted as follows:
- In-person or by U.S. Mail to the Harris County School District H.O.P.E. Center, 106 Mountain Creek Drive, Hamilton, GA 31811
- OR faxed to 706-628-9118
- OR scanned and emailed to Mrs. Thalia Carey at email@example.com.
- If the student is not currently registered with the HCSD, contact Ms. Deb Slayton, Student Information Coordinator, at 706-628-4206, Ext. 1413 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org for next steps.